Posted by Indusa Admin on December 1, 2017 12:58 pm
Leveraging software applications to drive business growth is quickly becoming a game changer for organizations around the world. From transforming end-user experience, creating new revenue channels, and making business innovation-ready to targeting a wider customer base – IT software is one of the single most important elements with an organization. This has made application development and maintenance a strategic requirement for all of those looking to add value and improve business outcomes. We spoke to our Sr. Project Manager, Brijmohan Bhavsar, to get a deep understanding of what application development and maintenance is all about, its benefits, best practices for application development and maintenance, as well as what the future holds.
What is Application Development?
Application development goes through a process of planning, creating, testing, and deploying an information system, also known as the software development life cycle. Applications are also often developed to automate some type of internal business process or processes, build a product to address common business challenges, or to drive innovation. Today, a majority of organizations are looking for custom solutions to support their individual business needs, and to be on par with cutting edge technologies by developing robust applications that are scalable, secure, and easily maintainable.
For many software development projects, getting the product in the market quickly, ahead of the competition is key. This is no easy task, considering that skilled domestic software developers come with a high price tag and demand for their talents is high. Outsourcing software development is a smart strategy for many businesses; it enables companies to reduce development and production time without draining budgets.
What is Application Maintenance?
Due to evolving customer expectations, the fight to survive in an existing market, and technology advancements, modifying and implementing new strategies is critical in maintaining sustainability and staying competitive. Every competitive business needs to constantly enhance and manage the IT solutions that have been developed in order to stay relevant, and meet the wavering needs of users. This is where application maintenance and support comes into the picture.
Contrary to popular belief, application maintenance is not just about fixing defects, but modifying a software product after delivery to correct faults, as well as to improve performance. Application maintenance and enhancement to existing applications begins with a thorough study of existing applications to identify areas of improvement.
What Are the Key Benefits of Application Development and Maintenance?
Robust application development and maintenance enables companies to effectively manage their application portfolio through customized solutions. Let’s look at four of the major advantages application development and maintenance provide:
- The need for custom application development is at an all-time high – solutions that support individual business needs, that are scalable, secure, and easily maintainable.
- By leveraging proven deployment techniques and industry best practices to make improvements to IT solutions, organizations can not only improve their application throughput but also ensure business continuity and long-term value.
- End-to-end application development services across a number of engagement models help support the development, QA/testing, deployment, maintenance, and enhancement of legacy and new IT systems.
- Expertise and domain experience across key industry verticals including marketing, healthcare, media, e-commerce, manufacturing and financial services and quality assured practices across a variety of application life cycle models helps to support and extend the quality practices of end-customers.
Examples of Application Development and Maintenance
Flexible and scalable architecture and intuitive user interface have become prime requirements when developing applications as user expectations become more intensified. Gone are the days when application development and maintenance was restricted to just mobile and web apps; today they cover a host of enterprise systems ranging from marketing technology software, cloud based mobile apps using IoT, data management solutions, and more. Successful application development companies today make use of the latest tools like Visual Studio, TFS, VSTS, and SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) and technologies like .Net 4.5, MVC, jQuery, MVVM, C#, VB.Net, and SQL Server to develop robust applications that have a direct impact on process efficiency, quality control, and also improve workflow handling. A well-developed and maintained application enables organizations to experience a substantial improvement in throughput, with a sizeable reduction in time, resources, and overhead costs.
Tips for Successfully Carrying Out Application Development and Maintenance
Great user experience to end-customers through the development and maintenance of modern apps is a must have. Today, applications (web or mobile) are the most cost-effective and powerful ways to reach out to a vast market and generate revenues. With millions of applications being rolled out every day, it’s a good idea to keep in mind a few tips:
- Be as clear as possible as to what your requirements for your application are
- Thoroughly understand the services offered by application development companies and identify the right partner if you’re using a partner
- Evaluate the various development platforms and choose the one that best fits the needs of your business
- Make sure to embed processes that focus on continuous improvements and iterations to add new features and/or fix bugs
- When developing your application, make security your top priority
- Regularly update and test your application to deliver improved and better performance, high security, and a bug-free, seamless user experience
What is the Future of Application Development and Maintenance?
Trends in IT emerge and fizzle with the blink of an eye. 2018 will see a host of trends in the application development and maintenance landscape, such as:
- Security practices will no longer be implemented at a post-development stage but as code
- Cloud implementations will become a popular way to meet the needs of end users
- Automation will enable organizations to consolidate tools so they don’t have to custom-build deployments.
- Companies will embrace innovative tools and technologies to ensure applications are always on, while ensuring reduced costs by creating a business aware and future ready application landscape.
Get Maximum Value from Application Development and Maintenance
The latest applications enable business organizations to automate a plethora of everyday processes, in order to drive business value. With businesses typically using a combination of commercial, off-the-shelf software and proprietary software, dealing with changes in hardware platforms, software operating systems and commercial and regulatory requirements, as well as changing user needs is an everyday challenge.
Application development and maintenance enables organizations to manage all aspects of the software product development from start to finish – from the design, and coding, to testing, ongoing improvements and debugging of software – in an effective manner. Maintain and modernize business-critical applications, enhance their stability, eliminate downtime, reduce support costs, and get maximum value from your applications, around the clock.
Successful application management is a challenging feat to attempt on your own. Learn how your business can benefit from application development and maintenance services.
About the Author – Malavika Nityanandam
Malavika is a freelance content writer working with Indusa. She has experience in business development, marketing and has played an instrumental role in providing presales and marketing support to meet business and customers’ requirements. She has excellent writing skills with different styles/tones.