Posted by Indusa Admin on May 2, 2017 12:54 pm
Want to move to the cloud, but not all at once? Wondering what value the cloud will bring to your organization? Skeptical about the benefits? No matter what your cloud migration plan is (migrating in stages or extending on-premises applications with cloud capabilities), you can choose from Office 365’s hybrid cloud scenarios to meet your organization’s specific cloud-based needs. By using compute resources on your on-premises network and in the cloud, hybrid cloud can be used to migrate your IT to the cloud or integrate cloud platforms and services with your existing on-premises infrastructure as part of your overall IT strategy.
What is Hybrid Cloud?
Microsoft Hybrid Cloud is a set of business scenarios that combine a Microsoft cloud platform with an on-premises component. For instance, you can get search results from your on-premises SharePoint farm and SharePoint Online in Office 365 or have a mobile app running an Azure query on an on-premises storage.
Hybrid cloud offers an extensive array of convenient features such as:
- Leverage your existing on-premises investments as you migrate to the cloud.
- Incorporate hybrid cloud scenarios into your long-term IT plans (when regulations do not authorize you to move specific workloads to the cloud).
- Build other hybrid scenarios to include multiple Microsoft cloud services and platforms.
Going Hybrid with SharePoint Online (Office 365)
A hybrid environment allows you to leverage both the on-premises and cloud versions– permitting you to bring the most value to your business with the least amount of effort (and cost). If you are skeptical about migrating to the cloud, a hybrid environment is a great first step to explore the cloud (at your own pace). Here’s how a hybrid environment can benefit you:
- Move to the cloud, bit by bit. The O365 (or SharePoint Online) hybrid solution is the perfect way to embrace the cloud. Extend your on-premises investment to the cloud by integrating services and moving workloads to the environment bit by bit.
- Focus on business-critical tasks. With a hybrid setup, you can stop worrying about managing server infrastructure (or how employees will access the information they need) and focus on more important tasks (like working towards your business goals).
- Seamlessly share documents. Easily share and collaborate on documents with Hybrid OneDrive for business – automatically get redirected from your on-premises server to OneDrive for Business in O365 in seconds and get tasks done well in time.
- Oh the perks of federated search. Search for files and documents across SharePoint Server and SharePoint Online, and get the access you need. You can also search on Google and Bing and get your search results within O365.
- And a uniform user interface. With Hybrid, you can get the feeling of working on a single platform. Create a uniform look and feel across your on-premises and cloud environments, which makes user adoption easier.
- Get the opportunity to minimize storage costs. Reduce your on-premises storage costs with your cloud migration plan by moving your files to the cloud.
- Seamlessly navigate between the environments. With the extensible hybrid app launcher, you can seamlessly navigate between both environments – your custom O365 tiles as well as Delve will automatically appear in your SharePoint Server app launcher).
- Enjoy 24×7 connectivity. Stay connected around-the-clock from almost anywhere to the resources and content you need, whenever you need it.
- Encourage partners. Create partner facing extranet sites and allow partners to securely do business with your organization (without giving them access to the corporate on-premises environment or any other Office 365 site).
- Leverage Business Connectivity Services (BCS). With the BCS connector, you can not only access data across your on-premises and cloud environment, but also data residing outside of SharePoint (say in an external database or a website).
- And access SAP from within SharePoint. O365 hybrid allows you to leverage the benefits of Duet Enterprise – now access SAP data and processes directly from your familiar O365 app and enjoy seamless interoperability. A great feature for improved agility!
Make the Most of the Cloud
Although hybrid scenarios with O365 are not new, the latest version of O365 makes it totally worth it. What better way to make the most of your on-premises and cloud environment than by using a hybrid scenario and getting the best of both worlds?
As a TechNet blog rightly puts it, adopting Office 365 doesn’t have to be a cloud-only solution – customers can choose to run some workloads on-premises alongside other workloads in the public cloud, or the hybrid scenarios may offer additional flexibility.
Have full control over your data on-premises, and switch seamlessly to the cloud, search and collaborate on files across your on-premises and cloud servers, enjoy around-the-clock connectivity, integrate external data, work with it offline, and do a host of other things – with O365 hybrid scenarios including Exchange, Skype for Business, and SharePoint, you can make the most of the cloud. So what are you waiting for?
Want to learn more? Indusa will guide you through the integration process to help get you set with all your Microsoft Office 365 needs.
About the Author – Bhavin Sankhat
Bhavin works as Sr. SharePoint Developer at Indusa and has over 5 years of strong experience, which includes enterprise portal configuration and customization, along with integration of SharePoint with MS CRM, MS AX and SAP.
Contributing Writer: Malavika Nityanandam